07 April 2016

We are (were) pregnant!

On Father's Day, 2015, I woke up with a very strange feeling. I can't explain exactly why I felt this way - I had no morning sickness, no nausea, no symptom or sign that would indicate or point to the outcome. Despite those facts, I woke up knowing that I needed to take a pregnancy test.

Kendall and I hadn't necessarily been trying, but we hadn't not been trying. I had an irrational sense that I couldn't conceive, anyway, so I didn't think twice about it when we decided to no longer prevent. After about 6 months, multiple missed periods and only one line, it was becoming customary to throw money at tests that showed there still was not a baby in my future.

But that morning, I knew I had to test one more time. I drove to the Walgreens down the street and proceeded with the same routine - pregnancy test and chocolate (to increase happiness following the next step in the routine - another negative test). I checked out and went home.

Kendall was working that day and I tended to take the tests without him there anyways, just in case I had a strong emotional reaction this time around. I followed the steps on the little pink package and waited. And waited. And waited. No one tells you that those are the longest few minutes, and the waiting seems endless.

Finally, after 5 minutes of endless waiting, I picked up the test. I did a double take, a triple take. Never had I seen even the faintest of lines in that second slot - I wouldn't know what a second line would look like. Was I crazy? Was this real? I waited another couple minutes. It was darker. Another couple minutes - it was clear as day. I was definitely pregnant!


I was so excited for many different reasons, but mostly I was excited to finally make Kendall a father. One of the reasons I fell in love with him was because of his love for children and I knew that someday he would be the best father to our children. I knew that I needed to make this a special day for him. I hopped in my car and drove to the nearest Barnes & Noble to find the perfect book to help me tell him the news he had been waiting for.

Jimmy Fallon had just come out with a book called, "Your Baby's First Word Will Be Dada." I bought the book, printed out a picture of the pregnancy test to stick in it, and wrote over the word "Dada" on the last page so that it said, "You're gonna be a DADA!"

I gave him the book when he came home and his first words were, "how do you know?!" Even he couldn't believe it! We laughed and I told him I'd take a digital one to prove to him that I wasn't making it up. When the digital test glowed with the word "YES," he had to believe that it was true.



We told my family in Washington with a video, and the rest of our family in Arizona with little hints, like: telling our nieces and nephews and having them spill the beans. When we finally had our first ultrasound and heard our baby's heart, we thought it was time we shared our news with our friends.



And that was just the start...

No comments:

Post a Comment