07 April 2016

...and it's a BOY!

From the moment I found out I was pregnant, all I could think about was who this tiny person was going to be. Mostly, I wanted to know if I was having a boy or a girl! My OB told me they wouldn't be doing the gender ultrasound until 20 weeks. Because I didn't know any different, I didn't even think twice about it. Upon telling my sister-in-laws how excited I was to find out in two months, they laughed and told me that I could definitely find out sooner if I wanted. Kendall and I immediately made an appointment with a private ultrasound clinic so that we could find out the gender a whole 5 weeks earlier!

I wanted to tell our family in a special way, so I spent all day baking cupcakes and making filling to reveal the gender to them. Our appointment was pretty late in the evening, so I had to make both colored fillings and fill all the cupcakes beforehand so that we could rush over before our nieces and nephews went to bed.

I always got really nervous for ultrasounds - my heart would skip a beat as soon as I heard my tiny human's heartbeat and my nerves would calm instantly. This time was no different, with the added nervousness of finding out my little one's gender. I had always imagined having a little girl first, like my mom, but knew it was unlikely - Kendall was one of five boys, and I had only brothers!

When they called us back, I played on the table and was calmed immediately by the strong sound of the baby's heartbeat. We were getting so excited to find out as the technician moved the wand around my belly. She paused on an image and laughed, saying "your baby has it's legs crossed right over the genitals!" My heart dropped - was I not going to find out today? It was all I had been wanting!

She asked me if it was okay if she pressed on my belly to try to get the baby to move. She prodded my belly for a few minutes, moved the wand around, then prodded some more. "Cough for me." I coughed. I coughed again. "Okay, I'm going to have you stand up and jump." Jump, jump, jump. Prod, prod prod. Cough, cough.

Right when we were about to give up, the baby started having hiccups. The little criss-crossed feet moved just enough for the technician to see that without a doubt we were having a baby boy. Kendall yelled out loud, "YES!" then said, "sorry, babe!"

He didn't need to be sorry. I instantly felt a deep connection with my baby that I had been lacking for 15 weeks. I was having a boy, a son. I could give him a name and imagine his face. I could buy him clothes and blankets and baby boy things. And I would be his mama.


He's a boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment