02 May 2016

Complications, continued.

They finally released me from the hospital on January 17th with diet instructions and with an appointment to see my surgeon and OB within a week for follow up. My surgeon did not want to do surgery while I was pregnant and wanted me to hold off until at least 6 weeks after my delivery, if I could handle it. My OB wanted me to get to at least 37 weeks, if I could handle it. Both assured me that with proper diet and exercise, that I shouldn't have any problems.

They were wrong.

I had attacks 4-5 times a week, sometimes multiple times a day. Most of them I could handle with deep breathing and a lot of tears. I told my OB each week how many attacks I had but assured her they were not as bad as the one that put me in the ER the first time. They gave me pain medication for the attacks, but encouraged me not to take them as they were addictive to me and to Harrison. They didn't help, anyway. I ended up barely eating anything - I even went days when I only ate apples all day - and it still wasn't enough to keep away the pain.

On top of my body not being able to digest fat in food, Harrison's feet where constantly right where my gallbladder was located. Even if I knew that I had little to no fat in a day, if Harrison kicked in the right spot, it would send me into hours of pain.

On Thursday, February 11th, Kendall and I were getting ready for bed as usual. We were getting used to my attacks coming, so it was no surprise when I started having pain around 7:00 PM. It went away pretty quickly, so we got in bed and started watching a show. At around 10:00, I started feeling pain again, and Kendall went ahead and gave me some pain medication just in case. After about an hour and a half of sitting on the bathroom floor trying to make myself throw up to relieve the pain, I told Kendall that this time was different and that we needed to go to OB triage right away. I was exactly 36 weeks and 5 days.

Kendall drove as fast as he could to the hospital. When we got to the parking lot, I threw up quite a bit...the only other time I threw up besides the first time we went to the ER. We were immediately taken to a room in OB triage where they hooked me up to the machines to monitor Harrison. The nurses worked quickly to order me some pain medication and we waited for my OB to arrive (luckily she was doing rounds at the hospital that night).

When she finally came in, about an hour and a half after we arrived, she said the sweetest sentence I could have ever heard:

"I think you need to be done being pregnant."

No comments:

Post a Comment